The research done on this website is made possible by commissions earned through sales from affiliate links shared within the content. Learn more here.
Organic Dog Treats for a Healthy Dog
More and more of us are willing to pay extra for organic dog treats — and for good reason. Eating organic helps us avoid foods that have been treated with potentially harmful chemicals or are genetically modified. Your pet is part of your family, and you know that they deserve the same high-quality food. Feeding with organic dog treats leads to a ton of benefits, like stronger immunity and better digestion for a healthy pet.
“Many dogs and cats suffer from food allergies,” says Dr. Rachel Barrack, DVM, certified veterinary acupuncturist and certified Chinese Herbalist at Animal Acupuncture in New York City. “Dog allergies can manifest as red, itchy, paws; itchy, infection prone ears; and severe skin disease.” Other symptoms of a food sensitivity often include skin irritation, chronic ear and skin infections, and gastrointestinal troubles, such as vomiting and diarrhea. Food sensitivities can also trigger chronic pain and weight gain.
In addition to dog allergies, more canines are overweight and developing serious chronic health problems as they age, including cancer and heart disease. “These conditions can severely impact pet health and daily quality of life,” says Dr. Barrack, who urges her clients to take a hard look at nutrition to rebuild their pet’s health from the bowl up.
The Organic Difference
The Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) does not have a specific legal definition for organic dog treats; instead, the AAFCO borrows the United States Department of Agriculture rules on organic labeling for human food. To be certified as organic, plant ingredients in pet foods must be grown without pesticides, artificial fertilizers, genetic modification, irradiation or sewage sludge. Animal ingredients must come from animals raised on organic feed, given access to the outdoors, and not treated with antibiotics or hormones. Farmers and producers must have special certifications and follow specific procedures to market the pet food as organic.
There are different levels of organic. If a label says 100% organic, it contains no non-organic ingredients. “Organic” means the food is at least 95% organic. “Made with organic ingredients” indicates a product contains at least 70% certified organic ingredients.
If a pet food is advertised as organic, it is free from things like artificial sweeteners, artificial colors and artificial preservatives. Conventional dog treats sometimes contain these potentially harmful and unnatural ingredients, as well as health doozies such as genetically modified corn or soybeans, rendered meat (which is unfit for human consumption), meat by-products, food dyes, and food additives such as monosodium glutamate.
Various Benefits of Organic Dog Treats
Serving your pet nutritious organic dog treats will insure that your special friend lives a higher quality of life. Your pet will receive many of the following benefits associated with a high-quality pet food.
- Increased longevity – Most people will admit that the quality of food of their own diet can significantly affect the longevity and vibrancy of their life. Similarly, feeding your pet snacks that are overly processed, low in nutritional quality, and full of chemicals can put them at risk of having a shorter lifespan.
- Healthy appearance – Although the appearance of your pet may not seem like a major consideration, the way your dog looks is a direct reflection of its overall health. The better your pet looks, the better he feels because he is healthier than when he is consuming inorganic food.The type of treats you give your pet – organic or inorganic – directly affects the appearance of his coat, skin, nails, etc. Unlike commercial treats, organic dog treats are nutrient rich, not made of nonessential foodstuffs found in commercial treats.While organic dog treats contain grain sources of super nutritional value and quality protein, inorganic treats contain flavor enhancers, artificial colors, chemical additives, and toxic pesticides. These types of unhealthy treats may cause your pet to develop open sores, rashes, and lesions, or your pet’s fur may lose its color and shine, or the fur may fall out altogether.
- Decreased allergic response – If your pet is a dog, you know dogs can suffer from food related allergies. Typically, reactions are to a single ingredient used in your pet’s food, which also includes treats. Unfortunately, just one single ingredient can cause a number of problems ranging from mildly irritating to potentially life threatening.The allergies are often a reaction to the various chemical additives contained in dog food and treats. Because organic dog treats do not use these ingredients your pet will not suffer an allergy reaction.
- Consistent healthy weight – You may be trying to feed your pet a healthy diet every day in order to insure he maintains a healthy weight. Why interrupt your efforts by feeding him inorganic treats that contain almost no nutritional value? Organic dog treats are naturally more nutritious and therefore less fattening. A healthy weight gives your pet more energy to use for exercise necessary to maintain a healthy physical condition. Organic dog treats contain superior nutritional value, which can make a difference when it comes to maintaining a consistently healthy weight.
Remember that dogs can quickly become accustomed to receiving treats. While it’s easy to use treats to train pets and they enjoy treats for any reason, too many treats can cause your pet to gain excessive weight and to become dependent and not obey unless they receive a treat.
If pet treats are a common part of your pantry stock, be sure they are organic. If you are not sure which dog treats are organic, opt for an all-natural treat.
Top Five Organic Dog Treats Table
Waveland Paws Organic Dog Treats (editors' choice)
Organic Dog Treats Products Details
Nature Gnaws Tendon Chews
Beef Tendon Chews are made from 100% all-natural, grass-fed, free-range beef. They are Oven-Baked without added hormones, preservatives or colors. They are naturally High in Protein & completely Grain Free. These beef chews are easily digestible and serve as a healthy alternative to rawhide & manufactured dental chews! And thanks to the firm texture of these tasty treats, they can help improve your dog’s dental health by reducing plaque and tartar. We do not treat with any nasty chemicals to make the product “Odor Free”. Besides, our dogs love the natural tasty beef smell and the organic oils are excellent for their skin & coats. Since these Tendon Chewsare average in diameter and are cut into longer seven to eleven inch pieces, they are perfect for medium & larger breeds and will have your pup drooling with delight every time!
- Single-ingredient treat sourced from only Grass-fed, Free-range Beef
- Great alternative to Rawhide or Manufactured Chews
- Helps to remove plaque and tartar to support Dental Health.
- Perfect for Medium & Large Breeds
- Re-sealable bag for long lasting freshness
Waveland Paws Organic Dog Treats (editors' choice)
Lume & Dacey Waveland Paws 100% Organic All Natural Made in USA only Beef Meaty Sticks are made with locally sources premium ingredients. Waveland Paws dog treats are a delicious treat for all breeds and life stages from puppies to adult dogs. Our nutritious Meaty Beef Sticks are made with high-quality ingredients for a taste that will keep tails wagging!
- Grain Free. No added gluten, grains, soy, or corn
- Healthy Alternative to “junk food” dog treats
- 100% Organic Farm Raised Beef
- Excellent addition to limited ingredient diets
- Meaty taste & texture dogs crave
- For puppies, adults, and senior dogs
- No artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives
Lume & Dacey Waveland Paws believe every dog has something that makes them unique and special. Which is why they deserve premium-quality beef sticks that is worthy of your pet's personality and worthy of your standards. Waveland Paws Meaty Beef Sticks encompasses several carefully-selected formulas, which feature high-quality meats and unique proteins, complex carbohydrates, and nourishing vegetables.
Try Out Lume & Dacey Waveland Paws Beef Meaty Sticks NOW!
Invest in Your Fur Family Today!
Riley's Organics Human Grade Organic Dog Treats
- 5oz Small Bone Peanut Butter & Molasses
- 100% Natural & Human Grade Ingredients
- Wheat, Corn, & Soy Free
- Made in the USA and USDA Organic Certified
- No preservatives, sugar, salt, artificial colors or flavors
Organix Castor & Pollux Chicken Flavored Dog Cookies
America’s #1 organic dog food brand, ORGANIX, is the only complete line of USDA organically certified dog food. All ORGANIX recipes are made with organic, free-range chicken or turkey as the #1 ingredient. There are no chemical pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, artificial preservatives, added growth hormones or antibiotics in ORGANIX.
- #1 ingredient is organic, free-range chicken
- Cookie that delivers the taste dogs crave
- No artificial preservatives, added growth hormones or antibiotics
- No chemical pesticides or synthetic fertilizers
- Cooked in an organically certified USA kitchen
Green Butterfly Brands Grain Free Organic Dog Treats
100% AMERICAN SOURCED HUMAN-GRADE ORGANIC INGREDIENTS – No Artificial Flavors, Color, Fillers, Preservatives
GREAT FOR SENSITIVE TUMMIES & LOW FAT, LOW CALORIE DIET - Best Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Grain Free Tasty Snack Made In America
TRAINING TREAT PACKED WITH PROTEIN - Your Puppy Will Be Eager To Please - For Small and Large Dogs
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS - We Donate A Portion Of Proceeds To Train Service Dogs For Disabled Veterans, Our Military Heroes.
TAILS WILL WAG – Your dog will love the taste of our crunchy, tasty Beef Sticks or your money back guaranteed